Saturday, July 3, 2010

Greetings from London!

We arrived at Heaththrow tonight around 9pm local time. Chris and I were both very surprised at how fast and nice the flight was (we didn't even need any of the vodka we snuck in). Chris had an aisle seat while I was sandwiched in between him and my twelve year old cousin Samir. I slept most of the time while Chris kept himself occupied with games on his iPhone and the in-flight entertainment. During lunch, we watched the movie "Hachi" together. It is about a dog (an Akita) who waited for his owner to return every day, even 10 years after his death. I don't know why Chris let me watch it because of course in the end I was crying my eyes out on the plane and everyone was laughing at me.

Once we landed, we waited in line at customs for about 45 minutes. It went quickly though because we were people watching and trying to figure out where everyone else was from. We came to the conclusion that there had to be a flight from China and India, but lots of other nationalities mixed in too. After we were checked by a very nice man who was joking with us about teaching being a family business, we made our way to baggage claim. You could tell we were definitely held up because all of our bags were off of the carousel waiting. Issa arranged for a 6 passenger van to pick us up and shuttle us to our hotel. It was a tight fit, but we managed. The best part was that since our hotel was on the opposite side of London from the airport, we got to go through Central London and see many of the famous sights. By the time we got to the hotel and checked in, we were starving. Luckily there is an Italian Restaurant a block from our hotel. The service was a little slow, but it was nice to sit down and relax and talk about our upcoming days. We shared some pizza and a ravioli dish, and by the time we finished it was midnight local time, but only 7pm at home, so none of us were really tired. Although I really can't remember falling asleep, once my head hit the pillow...

4 comments:

  1. That's so awesome the flight wasn't bad! I can't believe you didn't need the vodka...and how the heck did you sneak it on?? Lol. I'm glad you guys made it here safe. Can't wait to hear more! Oh and were you able to figure out our pictures?? I can't believe they were too small (sighh...) oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a safe trip over! You are missing a HEAT wave here, easily 100 degrees. It was so hard to leave the lake yesterday. Everyone was asking how you guys are, have a great time in London!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey great to to hear you're enjoying the trip so far! I knew it wouldn't take long for Katia to find something to complain about (slow service???), even on vacation, lol, but I'm glad you're enjoying yourselves. Yes, you are indeed missing a lovely heat wave - but I just keep thinking back to the blizzard, and suddenly it doesn't seem too bad! Looking forward to the rest of the trip.

    P.S. Why doesn't England have a Kidney Bank, since it already has a Liverpool?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa - July 9th cannot come soon enough! Everyone here wants to know if it is a boy or a girl! Unfortunately, we were never able to print your pictures. I just printed some of the ones I had and they are all enjoying looking at them and want you to come to Lebanon.

    Liz - I wish we were with you at the Lake, it was weird spending the 4th in a different country :)

    Jimbo - I was not complaining!
    I guess I should have said the style of service there is very nice and relaxing...they don't make you feel rushed at all and I actually prefer that to our "in-and-out" American restaurants...
    Anyway, love the joke :)

    ReplyDelete