Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A few hiccups

...and some other stuff that's not worth mentioning. A stomach bug
tore it's way through the house, but luckily I was spared. Katia got
the worst of it, but everyone bounced back for a 2-day trip to Beirut
on Monday. We spent the night nearby, and I managed to leave my
computer power adapter in the hotel, so blogging will probably be more
brief since it has to happen on the iPhone now.

Beruit is a whole different world compared to Baalbek, except when it
comes to driving. We ate dinner with Issam (kat's dad's friend) and
his family, who were all very nice. The area where we went was full
of tourists from all over the Middle East and Europe which made for
some excellent people watching. Dinner was at a Lebanese restaurant,
although in my opinion the food was not nearly as good as what we're
eating in Baalbek.

We visited the ruins at Byblos which was incredible to walk through,
but unbearably hot. We'll post pictures soon.

We also went through caverns at Jeita, which was incredible. I've
been in a lot of caves and caverns, but this was larger and deeper
than anything I've seen in the US. Unfortunately we weren't permitted
to take cameras inside, so we had to buy postcards instead.

We got back to Baalbek late last night and everyone is still
recovering a bit, I guess from the walking and the heat (and the stop
at McDonalds last night). Apparently were finally going inside the
castle here in Baalbek, but we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment